Submissions of manuscripts for the Special Issue on the Pursuit of the SDGs for Peaceful and Sustainable Futures are now open. This SI is one of the culminating outputs of the Hiroshima International Conference on Peace and Sustainability 2022 (HICPS2022) in partnership with Elsevier’s World Development Sustainability. The SI is open access, but the Article Processing Charge (APC) will be waived for all accepted papers.
The submission deadline has been extended to December 31, 2022. Click here for author instructions and the submission portal.
Note: Authors need to choose “VSI: Peaceful & sustainable” from the “Select Article Type” drop-down menu in the submission site to be considered for the SI.
Aims and Scope of the SI
Academic and policy circles widely recognize sustainability and peace as intrinsically interrelated. The concepts of sustainability and peace are multi-dimensional and constantly evolving, and the pathways of their relationship are complex and dynamic. A better understanding of the peace-sustainability nexus and multiple factors and mechanisms that influence its dynamics is critical for creating a more peaceful and sustainable world. Therefore, there is still a need to better understand the pathways where sustainability and peace interact considering the different factors and contexts that are constantly shaping and reshaping the conditions for sustainable and peaceful societies. Against this background, this special issue aims to advance our knowledge of the nexus and provide a platform for critical reflections on its significance for achieving the sustainable development goals. We encourage researchers and practitioners to submit original research articles, reviews, case studies, and viewpoint articles on topics including, but not limited to:
- The underlying mechanisms of the nexus
- Mediating roles of political, social, and economic factors that may affect the nexus
- Pathways towards peaceful and sustainable futures
- Climate, peace, and security
- Environmental peacebuilding
- Education for peace and sustainable development
- The politics of peace and sustainability
- The impacts of COVID-19 on both peace and sustainability
- Climate-resilient resource management and its implications for peace and sustainability
- Effective governance approaches for promoting peace and sustainability
- Nuclear disarmament for peaceful and sustainable futures
- Global cooperation and partnerships for achieving sustainable development goals
- Youth engagement and gender equality
Guest Editors: Ayyoob Sharifi (Managing Guest Editor), Dahlia Simangan, and Shinji Kaneko