The Network for Education and Research on Peace and Sustainability (NERPS) is an international network of educators, researchers, and practitioners collaborating towards the advancement of peaceful and sustainable societies amidst global challenges. It engages with a wide range of stakeholders to identify research priorities and emerging issues related to peace and sustainability and implement innovative interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary education and research projects. Based at Hiroshima University’s Higashi-Hiroshima campus, NERPS also contributes to the promotion of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and serves as a resource hub for SDG-related activities of Hiroshima University.
Hiroshima University launched a new long-term vision in April 2017 called the SPLENDOR PLAN 2017, which emphasizes the realization of a new philosophy of peace science–“Science for Sustainable Development.” As a step towards meeting the objectives of the SPLENDOR PLAN 2017, the university established the Network for Education and Research on Peace and Sustainability (NERPS) in 2018. The main objectives of the Network are as follows:
- To identify research priorities and emerging issues related to peace and sustainable development;
- To co-design and co-implement innovative inter- and trans-disciplinary education and research projects on “Peace and Sustainability” in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders;
- To collaborate with a wide range of local and international stakeholders, so that Hiroshima University, as a comprehensive research university, can contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and to the creation of peaceful and sustainable societies in the face of increasing global challenges;
- To establish a one-stop-center for collection and dissemination of information related to university-based research and outreach activities related to the SDGs; and
- To coordinate university-based research activities related to the SDGs.
To achieve the above objectives, NERPS works on the following strategic goals:
- Propose an interdisciplinary study on peace and sustainability; and
- Establish an international research hub on peace and sustainability research.
- Expand the compulsory study of ‘SDGs and Global Partnership Study’; and
- Set up and develop the international Joint Master Program as to Sustainable Development.
- Develop indicators and generate visualizations to evaluate the contribution to SDGs utilizing Hiroshima university’s unique AKPIⓇ and BKPIⓇ; and
- Enhance social contribution through the interdisciplinary study of peace and sustainability.
ADMINISTRATION OF UNIVERSITY
- Establish the all-participating system for SDGs based on Hiroshima University’s long-term vision ‘SPLENDOR PLAN 2017’.
- Enhance international dissemination of Hiroshima University’s research on peace and sustainability through UN Academic Impact, Sustainable Development Solutions Network, and other channels;
- Integrate and update regularly the research publications of Hiroshima University; and
- Release a yearly integrated report on SDG-related activities.
NERPS serves as an information hub for SDGs promotion and participation of students, researchers, companies, public offices and citizens in peace and sustainability.
NERPS is based at Hiroshima University and is led by the President of Hiroshima University.