Hiroshima University launched a new long-term vision in April 2017 called the SPLENDOR PLAN 2017, which emphasizes the realization of a new philosophy of peace science–“Science for Sustainable Development.” As a step towards meeting the objectives of the SPLENDOR PLAN 2017, the university established the Network for Education and Research on Peace and Sustainability (NERPS) in 2018.
- To identify research priorities and emerging issues related to peace and sustainable development;
- To co-design and co-implement innovative inter- and trans-disciplinary education and research projects on “Peace and Sustainability” in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders;
- To collaborate with a wide range of local and international stakeholders, so that Hiroshima University, as a comprehensive research university, can contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and to the creation of peaceful and sustainable societies in the face of increasing global challenges;
- To establish a one-stop-center for collection and dissemination of information related to university-based research and outreach activities related to the SDGs; and
- To coordinate university-based research activities related to the SDGs.
To achieve the above objectives, NERPS works on the following strategic goals:
- Propose an interdisciplinary study on peace and sustainability; and
- Establish an international research hub on peace and sustainability research.
- Expand the compulsory study of ‘SDGs and Global Partnership Study’; and
- Set up and develop the international Joint Master Program as to Sustainable Development.
- Develop indicators and generate visualizations to evaluate the contribution to SDGs utilizing the Hiroshima university’s unique AKPIⓇ and BKPIⓇ; and
- Enhance social contribution through the interdisciplinary study of peace and sustainability.
ADMINISTRATION OF UNIVERSITY
- Establish the all-participating system to SDGs based on Hiroshima University’s long-term vision ‘SPLENDOR PLAN 2017’.
- Enhance international dissemination of Hiroshima University’s research on peace and sustainability through UN Academic Impact, Sustainable Development Solutions Network, and other channels;
- Integrate and update regularly the research publications of Hiroshima University; and
- Release a yearly integrated report on SDG-related activities.
NERPS serves as an information hub for SDGs promote the participation of students, researchers, companies, public offices and citizens in peace and sustainability.